Documentation such as contracts, reports, log books, manuals and large format drawings often pose significant document storage and access challenges.
The increase in information over time is placing pressure on available storage and efficient access to these critical documents. In addition, a secure backup of these files is essential. To overcome these issues there is an opportunity to introduce an electronic system to improve access to critical information.
In addition businesses face several challenges in tackling document storage and space issues:
- existing processes cannot be interrupted,
- records are often highly sensitive and
- active files are frequently accessed and changed
Docuvan will work closely with you to design and implement an electronic system that will meet these challenges while also achieving the following benefits:
- Improved access to information by facilitating the implementation of a electronic system
- Search functionality to quickly identify relevant information
- The elimination of storage costs either onsite or offsite
- Improved workflow though simultaneous access to documents and the elimination of lost documents
- More convenient information sharing, leading too greater collaboration across geographical locations and a reduction in wasted time as files get transferred between sites
- An improved office environment with less paper
Docuvan’s onsite scanning service helps to overcome some of the challenges associated with scanning sensitive technical documents:
- By scanning onsite your documents remain on your premises therefore the files remain secure and confidential
- If a file is required during the scanning process we can provide the paper document quickly and easily as we are ‘just down the hall’. Thus, the disruption to existing processes is limited.
- Further, by being onsite this ensures the number of documents being prepared and scanned at a particular time can be minimised.
Docuvan is an expert in scanning technical documentation. We have extensive experience scanning documentation such as:
- Project Documentation
- Drawings, plans and maps
- Large Format Drawings (A2- A0)
- Aperture cards
- Photos and Slides
What are some of the challenges that can be overcome by scanning technical documentation?
Digital files enable more convenient information sharing within an organisation. The outcome is greater collaboration across geographical locations and a reduction in wasted time as files get transferred between sites.
Workflow issues can be overcome though simultaneous access to documents and the elimination of lost documents.
Loss Prevention and Document Redundancy can be made much simpler when files are in a digital format. With a properly set up back up process in place, vital business information is protected in the event of a disaster.
Space in the office can be increased by scanning technical documentation. The result is a better office environment and reduced storage costs.
When moving offices it is often a good time to consider scanning existing technical documents. It can minimise disruptions later on and assist with the moving process.
A common trigger for scanning technical documentation is the implementation of a new system into the business. A new Document Management System often presents an excellent time to scan existing files and develop business processes to digitise day forward documentation.
What does scanning technical documentation involve?
There are typically four steps to the scanning process for typical A4 and A3 documents:
- Document preparation- sorting, staple removal, unfolding, separation of pages and removal of sticky notes
- Scanning and the associated automation of separation, indexing and file naming
- More detailed indexing requiring manual data entry, automation with barcodes and database lookups
- Integration with a Document Management System or development of a relevant folder structure
Large Format, book and aperture card scanning all require specialist equipment and extra steps but essentially the process is the same.
If you would like speak to one of our consultants, please call Docuvan on 1300 855 839 or email us on [email protected]